The issue we were experiencing was that my WordPress installation was not able to send email to Hotmail and Mailinator email accounts. It was sending them just fine to Gmail and Yahoo email accounts.
Quite literally, the emails were disappearing. There was no record of them being lost. No bouncebacks.
After testing and checking all sorts of things [spam filters, SMTP, mail(), plugins, etc., etc., etc.] we discovered the problem was that our IP was blacklisted.
Basically, email companies use different algorithms and services to determine what messages belong in spam, what messages belong in trash, and what messages get into the inbox. Unbeknownst to me a few hours ago, it is also possible that emails will go to none of the above. They will literally just be lost without a trace. Amazingly frustrating.
To solve the problem, we first made our way to mxtoolbox.com and used their blacklist checker. We were on the blacklist for 2 out of the 105 in their list. But aparently those two are big ones. I don’t even remember which lists they were.
We had to go to the blacklist manager tools for each of those two lists and request a de-listing. Within an hour emails were flowing like the Mississippi in August.
All in all, the problem took not to long to solve once we knew what the problem was, but I bet we spent 40 hours trying to get there.
More posts from themightymo.com
GoDaddy owns ManageWP, and, strangely, they make it very difficult to add GoDaddy-managed WordPress sites to their ManageWP service. Thankfully, there’s a quick workaround: Visit https://yoursite.com/wp-admin/plugins.php?showWorker=1 — This will make the ManageWP “Worker” plugin visible. Copy the connection info from the ManageWP Worker plugin. Add the site per-normal on ManageWP. That’s it! I hope this…
I realized this morning that my TMM Maintenance Mode WordPress plugin had a bug that was causing the wp-login.php page to be inaccessible. The solution was to write a simple function that checks whether or not we’re currently on a login page, and then add a call to that function in my code. Here’s the…
Today I updated a WooCommerce site, and everything worked fine, except for the images on product pages – they were not displaying at all. After a lot of trial & error, I realized that WP Rocket was to blame. I’m not sure exactly what the issue was (though my hunch is that it had to…