For years, I was very skeptical about Jetpack WordPress plugin.
But…today I’m a Jetpack convert.
If you don’t already know, Jetpack is one of the most popular WordPress plugins.
It is owned by and pushed heavily by Automattic, the for-profit corporation that more-or-less runs the WordPress project.
They’ve got a lot to gain, financially, by its success and its footprint in the WordPress eco-system.
I am wary…very wary of letting a corporate interest like that gain a large footprint on my and my customers’ WordPress sites.
But here’s why I have finally come around and granted Jetpack/Automattic access to my own WordPress sites and why I recommend Jetpack to customers.
Why Jetpack WordPress Plugin Is Awesome
Jetpack takes care of a number of critical, value-add website features out-of-the-box, for free, with a few clicks of the mouse!
Here are the Jetpack features I always enable:
- Carousel: Never worry about adding a fancy gallery slideshow plugin again!
- Social Comments: Visitors can comment using their Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Lazy Images: Load your site faster and waste fewer server resources!
- Downtime Monitoring: Know when your site is down.
- Image CDN: Load your site faster and save server resources!
- Login Protection: More security means fewer headaches for you and for visitors and for SEO.
- Auto-Post to Facebook, Twitter, & LinkedIn: Save time, money, & energy by auto-posting to your social media accounts!
- Related Posts: Reputable shared hosting companies will not allow you to do related posts (for good reason)…until now!
- Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc. Social Sharing Buttons on Posts: If you absolutely need these sharing buttons (you probably don’t), this is the best way to add them!
- Nightly Backups: The simplest and best backup tool for WordPress. I’ve been using this service since before Jetpack!
Trust: Jetpack is supported by Automattic, a company with a vested financial interest in the WordPress eco-system and WordPress community and, generally-speaking, in WordPress’ continued success.
Many of the features above will save you money and headaches.
Why Not Use Jetpack WordPress Plugin
The criticism of Jetpack, which I empathize with for the most part, is that we are relying on a for-profit company for some nice-to-have website features.
You can also do all of the above stuff with other free WordPress plugins that aren’t tied to a for-profit corporation.
For me, given most of the functionality Jetpack provides is non-critical, the pros outweigh the cons.
Like every WordPress plugin, you will run into bugs and other issues unexpectedly.
I’ve had websites where Jetpack was causing a white screen of death unexpectedly. Not good.
But honestly, in my line of work, I see this sort of thing all the time, and so long as the Jetpack dev team is on top of things and actively-fixing bugs, I’m okay with the occasional issue.
Y’all know I’m someone who appreciates fewer dependencies, especially when it comes to depending on for-profit corporations.
But in the case of Jetpack, for now, the benefits outweigh the risks.
You’ll eliminate some headaches, better-secure your WordPress investment, and add some nice-to-have website features in the process!
More posts from themightymo.com
We have just teamed up with one of the web’s finest search engine optimization gurus, Greg Cryns, and will now be offering his services to you, our customers! For you, our customer, this means that we now have added expertise in driving targeted traffic to your website. Greg has over a decade worth of search…
Below are my notes from tonight’s FlashMN meeting starring Dustin Tauer. The presentation focused on the new features of Adobe Creative Suite 4. Illustrator CS4 Can create multiple art boards. So, if I wanted to use artwork for the front and back of t-shirt, I would create 2 art boards (up to 100). There are…
For the Month of July only! Get your very own WordPress blog or static website – $99! This includes: – Domain registration for one year – Hosting for one year – Installation of your WordPress blog – Installation of SEO plugin, Akismet spam prevention, and up to 5 additional plug-ins of your choosing – Online…