There’s no silver bullet with e-commerce providers…just pros and cons. Below are some unbiased questions to consider when deciding between WooCommerce and Shopify. Since their respective feature sets are always-changing, I’m not going to recommend one over the other…but I do recommend conversing with your tech team about the requirements below:
- Which payment options would you like to provide customers at checkout? e.g. Amazon Pay, credit card, Apple Pay, Android Pay, Paypal, etc.
- How do you do fulfillment? How will you do fulfillment? Do you have multiple fulfillment houses or just one?
- Do you have a point of sale system?
- Do you want to offer payment plan solutions such as Paypal Credit, Partial.ly, etc.?
- How many transactions per month? How many customers do you have?
- How complex is your marketing and re-marketing?
- Do you need product subscriptions?
- Is a straightforward email confirmation workflow enough, or do you need something more vertically-integrated?
- Are you required to pay state and local taxes in more than one state? e.g. If someone in Alabama buys your product, do you need to pay Alabama state, county, & municipal taxes?