Today I decided to invest 1 hour optimizing themightymo.com. Below are the actions I took along with the results.
Speed Benchmarks and Initial Observations
- Before starting on today’s speed optimization, Google Pagespeed Insights scored us as a “44”.
- There’s some files loading from the wp.com cdn (e.g. Jetpack’s cdn) – Google is penalizing me for this stuff.
- Google is actually penalizing me for using Google Tag Manager. ????
- We’re actually scoring an “A” on GTMetrix.
- We scored a “C” on Pingdom.
- Weight of the homepage was 1.4 MB.
- Generated and served .webp image files (via SG Optimizer plugin).
- Turned off Jetpack’s cdn.
- Cropped and exported the hero image at 80% quality, which reduced its size from 389k to 79k.
- Removed an unnecessary logo image, which was 60k.
- Exported a testimonial image image at 80% quality, which reduced its size from 162k to 92k.
- Removed an unnecessary background image, which was 273k and replaced it with some glitzy colors.
- Deactivated unneeded plugins.
- Removed the background hero image from mobile views.
After 1 hour of work (including writing this post!), I’m happy to say that I increased my Google Pagespeed Insights score from a “44” to a “77”. Not bad for an hour on a Friday!
- Reduced the total homepage load from 1.4mb to 690k.
More posts from themightymo.com
GoDaddy owns ManageWP, and, strangely, they make it very difficult to add GoDaddy-managed WordPress sites to their ManageWP service. Thankfully, there’s a quick workaround: Visit https://yoursite.com/wp-admin/plugins.php?showWorker=1 — This will make the ManageWP “Worker” plugin visible. Copy the connection info from the ManageWP Worker plugin. Add the site per-normal on ManageWP. That’s it! I hope this…
I realized this morning that my TMM Maintenance Mode WordPress plugin had a bug that was causing the wp-login.php page to be inaccessible. The solution was to write a simple function that checks whether or not we’re currently on a login page, and then add a call to that function in my code. Here’s the…
Today I updated a WooCommerce site, and everything worked fine, except for the images on product pages – they were not displaying at all. After a lot of trial & error, I realized that WP Rocket was to blame. I’m not sure exactly what the issue was (though my hunch is that it had to…