Today I started my first significant BuddyPress undertaking – a conversion of an existing WordPress theme into a BuddyPress theme. I had previously spent a good number of hours picking apart existing BuddyPress themes and creating child themes from the default BuddyPress parent theme framework.
The first question I addressed was whether or not to utilize the default BuddyPress parent theme framework. After considering my options, I decided that using the parent theme will be best due to the fact that it will make upgrading easier than if I used a totally customized theme.
Basically, I have to re-create the existing theme from scratch using the BuddyPress parent theme framework. This isn’t a big deal, but it does take time. Recreating the drop-down menu has thus far taken up most of my time. For some reason, my CSS isn’t working properly, and sub-menu items are not aligning properly…grrr…. Of course, this is par for the course with website design…and a large reason why people are willing to pay me to build websites. 🙂
One great thing about using the BuddyPress parent theme framework is that I don’t need to re-create the wheel when it comes to the BuddyPress profile pages. This could be a big headache if I was starting from scratch with a custom theme, but for now it’s looking pretty manageable.
So far, one day into this project, I am feeling pretty good about where things stand. I have learned a lot about how theming works in BuddyPress, and I have a solid core built (I hope!). I’ll share more as this adventure continues!
More posts from themightymo.com
GoDaddy owns ManageWP, and, strangely, they make it very difficult to add GoDaddy-managed WordPress sites to their ManageWP service. Thankfully, there’s a quick workaround: Visit https://yoursite.com/wp-admin/plugins.php?showWorker=1 — This will make the ManageWP “Worker” plugin visible. Copy the connection info from the ManageWP Worker plugin. Add the site per-normal on ManageWP. That’s it! I hope this…
I realized this morning that my TMM Maintenance Mode WordPress plugin had a bug that was causing the wp-login.php page to be inaccessible. The solution was to write a simple function that checks whether or not we’re currently on a login page, and then add a call to that function in my code. Here’s the…
Today I updated a WooCommerce site, and everything worked fine, except for the images on product pages – they were not displaying at all. After a lot of trial & error, I realized that WP Rocket was to blame. I’m not sure exactly what the issue was (though my hunch is that it had to…